Webconférence: une heure pour découvrir le Shapership
L'attitude Shapership est inspirée par Buckminster Fuller
Shift from the “One Right Answer Saloon” to the “20/20 Vision Café”
This is one of the stories from our series entitled "Your Next Wise Move: fromMAD-LAND (leading us to Massive Assured Destruction)to NO-MAD Land" (based on Mutually Assured Development)
Here is our proposal for today’s shift, largely needed in a world of polarizations and exclusions that only leads to more Violence and Stupidity: the Shift from the “One Right Answer Saloon" to the “20/20 Vision Café”
What we see and hear today seems to indicate that some parts of the world are going crazy! We call them Mad Land. MAD stands for Massive AssuredDestruction. Fortunately, other wiser, Future-oriented and more creative territories are emerging. We call them No Mad Land. In this case, MAD stands for MutuallyAssisted Development.
To the left, Mad Land is the current known territory. To the right, No Mad Land is the land of the emerging and unknown Futures.
Those two different "Landscapes" are created and sustained by very different- and often unconscious - "Maps": our worldviews, beliefs, paradigms, perceptions and stories. Indeed, our mental maps are not the territory, but they define how we shape the “visible” Landscape, through our decisions and actions
Results: driven by very different Mindsets, MAD Land and NO MAD Land have very different practices, such as:
· Focus on selling more thermometers rather than reducing the global temperature
· competition versus Collaboration
· Conformism versus imagination
· Make a career versus live a meaningful life, in tune with our values
Because it is not about the things we look at. The key rests in the way we look at the world. The known territory of MAD Land appears as “normal” with MAD Glasses. Whereas NO MAD Land is simply"non visible" with MAD Land "lenses".
Our map is illustrated with 174 locations and their captions.Each caption metaphorically illustrates a way of looking at the world - not something we"are"; not something "good or bad". It offers the choice of a point of view to shape the Future everyday. Either starting from MAD or NO MAD Land.
We may all get stuck in the One Right Answer Café. For a minute, a day or our entire Life Time. This is one of the most comfortable – and dangerous –illusion we can develop. And yet, isn’t it what a majority of people keep running after all their life?
There is a joke about that. It says: what’s the difference between God and a Jewish mother? God knows all, but the Jewish mother knows everything better!
Have you noticed how, recently, conversations between people who know everything “best”– not my Jewish mother - have rapidly become polarized? They have clear- cut opinions without information nor mastery, intuitions without knowledge, certainties about uncertainties. In short, they want the stability of a “one right answer” in an uncertain world.
As the great scientist, NilsBohr said
“The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.”
It is a matter of perceptions, imagination, and points of view.
In our troubled times, we “all” struggle to make meaning of the world, falling without admitting it into confusion, fear, anxiety, lack of Imagination and a desire for Certainty: in short, the One right answer Saloon.
But those Regression Forces lead to preserving the Old instead of shaping the New.
· To realise that our so-called truths are just “proto-truths”, momentary truths?
· To realise that our so called “ideas are not good or bad but that they are just “ideas”?
· That a part of what we callCreativity is precisely to make hypothesis and to consciously try another worldview?
· That we are free to adopt flexible perspectives?
· To accept that our “best answer”of yesterday might not be the “next best answer”?
Science demonstrates that the brain can be rewired.
Let’s do it!
Let’s move to the 20/20 Vision Café!
Let’s put on “glasses” equipped with the latest State-of-the-Art progressive lenses. They allow us to look at the Past, the Present and theFuture with Sharpness and Accuracy. We can look far into the Future and often develop a 2050 Vision!
Let’s Remember and increase our Creative Agency: the power and freedom to reshape our Mental Maps so we can change the way we shape the World.
This is at the heart of Shapership, the Art of Shaping the Future.
The fast track to the20/20 Vison Café is to move from the lawn mower to what we call the"Altitude Attitude": the capacity to consciously shift our perspectives and to think about the way we think from an “elevated perspective”. From the altitude, comes the needed detachment which offers new directions, itineraries and possibilities. A new life.
• We can recognize the roads we take
• We can make our familiar routines and Thinking habits “exotic”to us
• We can discover how they sometimes alienate us by distorting our understanding and our sense of possibility
1. Move from truth to Proto truth: remember that ideas are nothing more than representations, temporary truths and not “truths”.
2. Move from Discussion and Argumentation to exploration and real conversation
3. Move from OPINION without knowing to INFORMATION with curiosity humility
4. Move from Conformity to conventional wisdom to Unconventional wisdom
5. Move from intuition based on Ignorance to intuition based on knowledge
6. Move from rigid rationalism to Regenerative Thinking : Thinking that is challenging, creative and imaginative
7. Move from the satisfaction of power over others to the delightful pleasure of power shared with others
8. Move from the satisfaction of Clash,Exclusion, power OVER others to the delightful pleasure of Dialogue, Inclusion, Power shared with others
L'attitude Shapership est inspirée par Buckminster Fuller